Things that make you go hmmmm

I saw a strange bird at a grass field recently. It was streaked with grey brown colour. When I approached it, I noticed that it would hop away. Most birds would have flown but this bird just hopped away from. It was quite strange but I did not think much about it.

Today, I saw 2 more birds with the same appearance in a grass field. Again the birds would hop away when I approach them but they never took to flight (From their wingspan, I assume that the bird could fly. Flightless birds the size of chicks would quickly be cat food.). By now I was really puzzled by the bird's strange behaviour.



It turn out that the bird was a Paddyfield Pipit. It hunts insects on grassland. According to Wikipedia, it prefers to run and does not fly far when flushed.

Comments

Popular Posts