Signals

Two year ago I had a neighbour who had a nice garden with an aviary. I had never been seen the inside of aviary but I saw a peacock strolling in the garden and what appeared to be a peahen that hid in my garage. I knew it was an aviary because I could see a caged compound with tree like structures.

One benefit I quickly realized was that the increase in species of wild birds when the neighbour moved in. An example would be the Scaly-breasted Munia that flocked around his potted plants at the gate.


I also spied a few juvenile Scaly-breasted Munia in the tree outside of my house.


I also once spotted an owl perched at the street lamp outside the neighbour's house. The reason why there is no picture is that it was in the night and my camera was not able to focus on the owl due to the street lamp's glare.

The neighbour moved out a year ago and I have noticed a decrease in the types of birds that I can see around my house. I need to point out that even though the neighbour has left the house, the garden is still in place. One possibility could be seasonal. Birds are known to migrate and the nice house was a perfect vacation spot but not a home. The other more interesting idea could be that more species of birds attract other species to flock around.

Let me qualify this point. I am fully aware that birds of prey can reduce sighting of other smaller species. I have observed crow population increasing which lead to a decrease in sparrow population. I have also observe the culling of crow population resulting in an increase of smaller birds population. I also know that falconers are using their birds to reduce the number of bird strikes around runways. It is not likely that the neighbour kept birds of prey as those predators could stress the peacock.

I have also noticed that in Botanical Gardens which have ducks and swans tend to attract more species of birds to hang around. I know that people like to feed ducks and swans even when it is prohibited but even then the increase in specie is not explained. I have been to parks and farms and I know that tends to attract pigeons or crows.

My hypothesis is that the garden makes the vacation spot more habitable. However, it is the other birds species that signals the attractiveness of the place. It is like a crowd at a bar. It makes other people more interested to join the crowd.    
     

Comments

Popular Posts