Other people's problem

Now, although I did not get to see the butt of this bird, I discovered that it was a Yellow-vented Bulbul (Yes, it has a yellow bottom). The reason I shot a picture this bird was that it looked the picture of public speakers giving their confident answer to other people's problem. I don't mean Donald Trump as the bird's chest is not puffed up enough.
But you've got being right down to an art.....
It is just that recently I noticed that everybody has a point of view of how to fix things. Take the example of Sun Yang's splash. Sun Yang was a Chinese swimmer who won a few gold medals at the Olympics. For those of you you who are unaware of him, he won another gold medal at Rio in 2016. Sun Yang had failed a drug test in 2014. The drug that he took was given by a Chinese doctor for a heart condition. I know that some people will immediately assume state funded sport doping. Except that the drug that was banned was banned for less than 5 months. But then the Chinese officials then decided to delay the announcement of the incident until the ban had passed (Rule is that the Chinese officials had to announce the issue within 20 days). Sun Yang then splashed a fellow competitor during training in Rio, 2016. The Australian competitor Mack Horton, unimpressed by the incident then publicly referred to Sun Yang as a "drug cheat".

Now there are many strong views to this incident that a Mark Horten from England has also blasted on social media. I assume it is by mistake as most people told Mark Horten to apologise for the Sun Yang incident. My point is that if a person with a different name and a different country is getting flak for other people's mistake, is it too much to ask everyone to take a step back? It is like most civilized people do not throw stones and then thinking that lobbing grenades online is acceptable.

The problem is that ranting online is easy. Assuming you have a device that allows you to go online, you can attack others who are online. In this day and age, the range of the social media is almost limitless. The cost is just a keystrokes and the effect is immediate.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” George Bernard Shaw

The downside is that most people would not have learn the correct lesson from the quick message. If I am spammed by a thousand tweets (Or message, or other text based communication), do you think I will read all of them? Even if I did read all of the tweets, would I be in impressionable mood when I arrive at your tweet? And that is the best case scenario. In the worst case scenario, other people like friends, family, colleagues or even strangers are affected. I can just imagine the statements: "How could you be friends with ...., How could let your son/daughter ....., How could you employ.....?"

It would be ironic if I end the article by telling the world how to handle this mess. All I can say is that it is better that our punitive actions are dictated more by reason than by emotions.

“We stopped looking for monsters under our bed when we realized that they were inside us.” Charles Darwin

Comments

Popular Posts