Believe me

Recently, one of my favourite comedian, Jon Stewart stated an interesting point. He said that you can tell when a person is lying when they say "Believe me"  (The evidence was that Donald Trump enjoyed using that phrase.) Another similar phrase, "Trust me" was used several times by both the hero and the villain in the book Going Postal. (Both the two men were grifters) I am not saying that disbelieve anyone who has said the word "believe me" or "trust me" or other words of that sort. I do use the phrase from time to time in casual conversation (Usually related to food. Or more accurately the palatability of the dish in question).

However, I find that this phrase has a distressing tendency to be used when the person is either biased or trying to rip me off when it is used. My doctors do not bother with it. My financial advisors do have a habit of using it. My good friends do not use it when advising me. My acquaintances tend to use it when advising me against my best interest or when my compliance benefits them.

On a similar note, I am also skeptical when people conveniently show me evidence or bring witnesses when they need to prove a point. The people who need to show evidences to me are usually distrusted. My doctors do not google or open their textbooks when giving their advice.  

Comments

Popular Posts