Read my mind

I am not going to talk about photography today. What I have are just pictures of my neighbour's cat taken under several circumstances. What I am going to talk about is about the mind of the cat in question.

Now the cat is not fed by me or my family. However, it does raid our house from time to time if we are careless about leaving food out in the open. My neighbour feeds the cat so there is less incentive for the cat to hunt for other meals.

All I do is to stroke/pet the cat occasionally. So very often, when I hear the cat meowing in the garden, I would go out and stroke it. It is a fact that cats meow when they want humans to pay attention to them. I know that it is wanting ot be stroked as it will lie on the ground with its flanks or belly exposed while purring. It will also keep rubbing its flanks aginst my legs.

Now before you start assuming that the cat is friendly and would allow me to stroke it, I need to point out a few facts. If the cat is sleeping or lying on the wall, it will be very unwilling to be stoked (Rearing its head away from my hand or even baring its teeth at the hand). If the cat is outside on the road, I can forget about storking it as it will walk away when I apporach it.

So now the other question arises. Why is the cat not willing to be stroked at other times? One possiblity is that the cat is hunting or protecting its territory when it is outside and it does not want to be bother by me. The other possiblity is that the cat has groomed itself and it does not want my scent on it (Probably affecting its "street cred" with the other stray cats).  


Comments

Popular Posts