Straight ahead!

Owning the Nikon P900 has taught me a new thing about perspective. One common issue is that I spot an object and when I bring the camera to the same level as my eye, the object disappears. Before you think that I am too slow to catch the subject, the second I remove the camera, the subject is visible. Nope, it is not the focus or the zoom. The subject is not a ghost. If it is, it never informed me.

The problem is that my Nikon P900 viewfinder is the same level as my eye, the image that it captures is a few centimetres below. For all the small cameras that I have used, this was not a serious issue. For the Nikon P900, this is an issue when I think I am looking at a subject at eye level when it is actually a few degrees lower. If the subject is big or there are nothing between me and the subject, this is a non-issue. 

There are a few solutions to get around this problem. One is by tip-toeing although I lose the stability (I am not trained in ballet). This changes my shot instantly into "shaky cam". The other trick is to change from using the viewfinder to using the LCD display. This has a downside when I am taking pictures outdoor and the sunlight is too bright. This makes the LCD screen almost unviewable.    

The point that I am making is that certain things seem so obvious until you have tried it out and walk through the instructions.  

“Don’t forget that I cannot see myself, that my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror.” Jacques Rigaut

Comments

Popular Posts