Imposter?

Do you see anything? No.


Try again. It has opened its eye. There is a bird in the central of the picture but it almost blends in with the background. The background happens to be roof tiles.


Here is a clearer picture of the bird. My nephew thought it was an owl based on it closed or half closed eyes, curved beak and camouflage colour. I suspect it is a cuckoo bird juvenile. It is a good bet that it is a Rusty-breasted Cuckoo. I need to say that some female cuckoo birds tend to look different as it makes the soon to be victimised birds harder to spot them.


Update:
I like to change my bet to it being Large-tailed Nightjar. Although the feathers colour do not appear to be similar to the Large-tailed Nightjar, its frowny appearance, closed or half open eyes matches those of a Large-tailed Nightjar. It is supposed to frequent cemeteries in Malaysia so its Malay name is rather macabre.

Update 2:
Need to change my bet to a Savanna Nightjar. The colouration matches. The fact that the bird is usually stationary during the day explains its puffing up appearance and fluttering actions. It needs to cool down to regulate its temperature.

Comments

Popular Posts