Limitations

I have a Canon SX710S for over a year and I have no complaints. Well, I have one which is that it has so many features that I am still learning them even until today. However, as a simple point and shoot with a 30X zoom, I am more than satisfied with it. Even under less than optimal conditions, I manage to grab the following shots.
Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker
Oriental Pied-Hornbill
However, as the weather has changed, I find that most my photo shoots affected by the weather. The problem is that before the rain starts, the ambient light falls. This makes it difficult for the auto focus to work at extreme range. The other problem is that the picture quality looks washed out as the lack of light reduces the details that the sensor can record.

Now, I am aware of the limitations of the camera when I purchased. There was a website which helpful showed the various picture quality. It pointed that in low light as well as extreme zoom range, the picture quality would not be impressive. (Actually, it was more critical but my knowledge of photo shooting techniques and cameras was and still is rather minimal.)

Now, I am a little stuck. I still want a point and shoot camera as I am taking photos of animals as I trek. I carry enough stuff so weight is a consideration. I am also now suffering chronic neck pain so a heavy camera is out. I also know that I am less than careful with my camera so it has to be robust and cheap so that I will not be reluctant to use it.

One thing that most camera connoisseur would have reminded me that they had originally advised me to purchase a DSLR with the relevant toys and whistles. Now, I know that many of friends have a DSLR at home which has not seen the daylight for years. I wanted a device that was funny to work with and maintenance was a minimum. I recall an owner of DSLR stuck a piece of paper on the camera so that the flash would trigger for indoor shoots. In my view, such a device is just too troublesome to use.

I was a soldier. I know that I would be proficient with an assault rifle that was light, easy to use and robust. I also know that there are bolt action rifles (Eg. Garbage rod) that are more accurate but I would not like to carry, fire or even clean. I am using the same approach for my cameras. Now before you think that I am old school, I like to point out that I have no problem (actually overjoyed) with using scope or reflex sights on rifles. And I was trained on iron sights.

Comments

Popular Posts