Jumping to conclusion

Recently, I saw three birds in a tussle. Feathers were not flying so it was not a battle. It was quite strange and I assumed it was some kind of mating ritual. Eg. Snakes have several males in a scramble with a female in the centre.

There were some occasions when one bird climbed on top of another. There were a few kissing scenes but the frantic action was quite confusing.

Pink-necked Green Pigeon male in the centre flanked by 2 juveniles
I snapped a few shots and then took a video.

When I watch the video, I watched the video, I understood my mistake within seconds. The bird in the middle with the colourful plumage was a male adult. The two birds "fighting" over the adult were juveniles. 

It was feeding time and the juvenile birds were getting their breakfast. The kissing scenes were the juvenile birds getting the adult to regurgitate the food. Watch the video for the highlights.

The bird is not vomiting the food. Vomiting implies that the food is being expelled from the digestive system upwards. The food is in the bird's crop or mouth and is not digested. The "kissing" stimulates the adult to regurgitate the food.  





Comments

Popular Posts