Decisions, decisions......

Today a very important event occurred. The British people voted to leave the EU. It is not for me to say if this is a good or bad decision. It is a major decision considering that traders in London stayed up all night for the outcome. Today's topic is on the importance of decision.

Whenever I am taking a photo, I have to consider several factors. I seldom have the luxury of time and this means I often make bad decisions. I accept them as a part of the hobby as most bad decisions have a relatively small cost. (I am using a digital camera so a bad picture is not as costly as if I have a film camera. BTW, for the records, I was still using a film camera as late as 1996.)

I encountered a Kingfisher (White-throated Kingfisher). I took its picture as soon as I saw it and tried to approach it to capture a closer picture. As expected, it flew away once it sensed my presence.
First time, first love.....
It flew across the river so I was not able to move closer. The Zoom feature is a great invention but there is only so much it can do. 
Don't leave me this way......
A few minutes later, it flew back to the tree on my side of the river bank. But the lighting was simply not in my favour and it kept hopping around. 
So take a look at me now.....
Now I understand that most people would have considered the first picture good enough and then pack up and return home. Now I am not saying that the decision is wrong but then most outings will resemble exercise sessions with the camera acting as a mini dumbbell. On the other hand, if I choose to have continuous improvement (aka Kaizen), I will be pretty exhausted after every outing and I will certainly dread the photo sessions. 

So what is best plan for me? Strangely, there is no simple solution. I have to decide when to call it a day and when to push on. I have to accept like fishermen that some days the fish do not bite. ("You should see the one that got away.").  
 
So far, I have never encountered a dry spell but that is because I try to live off tiddlers like the one below. 
Cause nothing last forever......
Finally, I conclude with a conversation from Criminal Minds (Season 9 Finale "Demons"). 
Reid: Have you ever have that feeling that your future is somehow behind you?
Blake: All the time.
Reid: I did too. But it isn't.
 

Comments

Popular Posts