Myths 101

In my first posting, I pointed out that we (aka humans) can learn something about new team members from plants. It was then brought to my attention that I was rather selective (I plead guilty on that matter) with my blog and I could have learn something from sharks.

According to the devil's advocate, sharks had several redeeming characteristics that we could learn from. Apparently, sharks devoured their sibling in the womb which implies that the shark's mother does not feed its young. (Thus proving the concept of survival of the fittest). They also swim nonstop or they would drown. Apparently sharks also swim in schools which naturally require some form of cooperation. Wouldn't it be better for me to learn from the apex predators instead?

Now, this discussion, I am excluding all sharks that are plankton or predators of small fishes.

I have just been to an aquarium with a shark tank and I discover that NOT all sharks have to keep swimming.
Don't know what you are expecting of me.....
There were a few sharks that were clearly resting at the bottom of the tank. In case you were thinking I was looking at a few dying sharks, the Mythbusters apparently busted this myth. Some sharks like the great white are "obligate ram ventilators" which need to keep swimming to pass water over their gills. Even then those sharks can still stop in water without too much breathing difficulty. For the sharks which are capable of even longer stops in water, they have a process called "buccal pumping"

Now for the first myth sharks devour their siblings in the womb, apparently the scientists are still studying this theory. It is of course pretty difficult to study since you first have to find a pregnant shark with several shark embryos. Then ask the shark to return for several more prenatal checkups to see there is only one survivor or until it gives birth. You need to inform fishermen not to catch it as well as notify other sea creatures not to attack while it is pregnant.

There are a few species of sharks known to devour their sibling in the womb like the Sandtiger Shark. Other sharks embryos just devour the unfertilized eggs. This process is not exactly a children story but it is not as X-rated. Finally, sharks like the Whitetip Reef shark do have a placenta connection to the embryos once the nutrition in the egg are consumed. So some shark's mother do provide nourishment in the womb (And not let their womb be some kind of Mad Max Thunderdome).

And finally some sharks are lone hunters. It is logical as sharks do practise cannibalism. I was quite surprised to discover that some sharks do work together as a team like the Whitetip Reef shark. Of course, I understood part of the reason for sharks to work together is that most sharks are not some deadly and unstoppable Terminators of the sea. Some sharks like the Great White are more efficient than others.

Of course, I expect my devil's advocate to change his tune that he was referring only to the Great White shark. Even then, the Great White shark is not an apex predator. Orcas apparently consider all sharks as prey. (I do not have pictures of Orcas making mincemeat out of sharks.)

But more importantly, why do we have so many myths about sharks? Well, for one they are predators that are known to take humans as prey. I am likely to believe more myths about things that I fear.

"In order to learn the most important lessons of life, one must each day surmont a fear." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Comments

Popular Posts