The problem about names

I recently visited a tourist attraction when I saw an attraction called Birds of Prey. There were two Eagles. They were the same species. I immediately circled the exhibit to find the other raptors. I still came up with the same two Eagles. No kite, hawk, or falcon.

Except that it turned out that the term Bird of Prey included Vultures. Raptor excludes Vultures. While most vultures eat carrion except for the omnivore called the Palm-nut vulture, they also eat fresh meat. There was nothing rotten about the rodent that a vulture was eating. Now, I need to point out vultures will hunt smaller prey if there are no carrion. 

I still have bone to pick with the tourist attraction. They housed the owls away from the Birds of Prey attraction. Owls are raptors but those owls got a smaller cage.  

I did see another two other raptors but they were in the cage for retired birds. Which was even more depressing. 


Comments

Popular Posts