Fact of the week:Stalling

I do not know much about flying but I do know stalling is a bad thing. Pilots are trained to deal with it.
I know pilots do try to stall their plane as stunts or even as drills.
So you understand my bewilderment when I learn some plane actual have stall strips. And those stall strips induce stall.

The truth is that flying is more complex. Some planes tend to stall on one wing. So the stall strip is install on the other wing so that both wings stall at the same speed.

So why a stall on only one wing dangerous? Because the non stalling wing is still generating lift while the stall wing isn't. This makes dealing with the stall more complicated. 

Or you want to induce a stall on part of the wing which makes the stall easier to handle. And yes, different parts of the wing can stall.

Comments

Popular Posts