Swiss made?

Now, this article is not disparaging Swiss products. Swiss army knives? Cannot afford the Swiss-made ones and the knock offs are .... Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Swiss watches? Well, they are able to compete despite their higher prices.

One year (This point will quickly become relevant) ago, I purchases something Swiss made. It cost $12 inclusive of labour. I would not bother to remember this transaction except the fact that the seller was informing me that I had used a Japan battery in a Swiss watch (Gift). Like it was some kind of sin.

Now, I am aware about taking care of timepieces but quartz watches were something of a more change battery and forget about it. The science is pretty simple. The battery powers the quartz crystal. Crystal vibrates. When it vibrates a number of time, it is one second. Move the relevant part. Using that one-second timekeeper, move other relevant parts.

I then noticed that several places advertise that the Swiss-made battery costs more than the Japanese battery. It does not make too much sense. Batteries are more or less interchangeable. That is the reason why there is a standard in sizes. Even Energiser which built products like torches does not insist on their products using their batteries exclusively. 

So what did I get for my Swiss made battery? Bragging rights and the #$^@#$ ability to replace the battery in less than a year. The previous Japanese battery lasted longer. 

The replacement cost $5. Labour included. I did not inquire about its origin (Most likely Japanese). 

Comments

Popular Posts