When names are not meant to be taken literally

I was out in a park when I saw a shadow flying over my head. It looked like a pigeon from its size.

What caught my attention was that the bird made a sudden adjustment in flight without the usual fluttering of feathers. I then found the raptor looking at me. 

Which was the first problem. The raptor was slightly s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ bigger than a full-sized pigeon. (Pigeons that would not be shy to share your lunch size). Its talons were massive when compared to the feet of pigeons. The head was also bigger. However, if this was a boxing match, you did check if the Chinese Sparrowhawk was in the correct weight class. (New meaning to f̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶w̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ super featherweight.) 
Chinese Sparrowhawk (Female)

It did have the classic raptor headshot. Hooked beak and big eyes. 


It is called a Chinese Sparrowhawk which is an approximation about its home rather than its culture. This bird is stopping over in its migration to Indonesia or the Philippines. Tourist seeking summer weather. 


But it apparently does not dine on sparrows. It dines on frogs and lizards. Which was a bit of a disappointment. Then I read about Snail Kites. All is forgiven.

Edit: 

I have seen a few pigeons closeup. The pigeons do have an impressive upper body stature but it tapers down. The Sparrowhawk appears to be more stoutly built. It needs to be pointed out that some smaller raptors do attack larger avian prey by using their talons to pierce the prey's skull.       


Comments

Popular Posts