Googled?

One problem of trusting technology is that there is a smarter guy out there to swindle you. I am not implying hackers or some other criminal underclass. I am referring to caveat emptor.

An app that hijacks your phone to eavesdrop (and GPS) on your watering hole to see if they are using pirate sports channel. 

But my story is a little worse. It is based on Google Map. Need directions to the next location?  It recommended a few routes with at least 10 minutes of walking. BTW, I had a hour headstart but it suggested a few odd solution. And it also suggested using a car/taxi ferrying service.

I tried to make sense of all the cheaper options but I was not able to make any headway in their suggestions. (They all suggested lengthy walks) When I failed to grad a cab in time, I headed to the subway and tried to see the path to the next destination.

Suddenly, all the "scenic" suggestions went away. It now pointed out there was a direct bus from my next subway station to the destination. Moreover, I remembered there was actual a direct bus that I could have taken to get to the next location earlier.

So at the end of the day, Google map is your friend as long as it thinks you do not have a choice or money to spent. As soon as you have options or money, it is best friends with other paying vendors. 

Comments

Popular Posts