Sexual dimorphism

This topic is not about sex. Or at least how living things make little versions of themselves. It is about how males differ from female

Brown Throated Sunbird:
(Male). Look at its colourful nape.






(Female): A more dull nape I mistakenly used an Olive-Backed Female earlier.
(Female): A more dull nape as well a greenish yellowish body.


Olive Backed Sunbird
(Male): Distinct blue throat




(Female): Missing blue throat




Or the Pink necked green pigeon

Pink necked green pigeon (Male Right) (Female  Left)

Pink necked green pigeon (Male)

Now, you might be thinking I am getting sentimental. The truth is that the idea hit me when I saw the toilets displaying the Pink necked pigeon as a way to identify the gender of the washroom. That was when I knew that the green pigeon that I saw was not a new species but a different sex of a known bird,

No, I did not take any photo of the washroom. The pictures of the above birds are taken in the wild. The washroom had a rather opened concept. When I was washing my hands, I saw that I could see a lady in the next room washing her hands too. No way am I going to take a picture if it would lead to misunderstandings. 

Comments

Popular Posts