The buck stops here

I have started a new project.

It was to put together pictures of the birds that I have taken matching against the birds that used to appear in Singapore's currency.

Simple, right? I have the super-zoom camera. I know the best birding site based on the findings on the Internet. 

$10,000. White Bellied Sea Eagle.

$1,000. Brahminy Kite.

$500. Black-naped Oriole. Yawn. this is getting boring.


$100. Blue-throated Bee-eater. This was a harder bird to spot. Did not see it until a few years back. 

$50. White-rumped Shama. Oh... a hard one. I only spotted it once.


$20. Yellow-breasted Sunbird. Bring it on!

$10. White-collared Kingfisher. We are on a roll.

$5. Red-whiskered Bulbul. Let me throw this problem to my untitled/undocumented Google photo collection. That is it after a few false hits.


$1. Black-naped Tern. 
$h!+ is getting serious. I have not seen a true sea bird since I took up photography. (Sea Eagles are excluded since they are fine with eating freshwater fishes). A little probe finds that there are only 100 Black-naped Tern in Singapore. Or more correctly over the coastal waters of Singapore.

And their breeding ground is a lousy stone in the sea which Malaysia is staking a claim over. Yup, that stone. And that is the reason that I take photos of wildlife. To capture things before things become extinct. Or at least have to experienced overseas or in books. (Or on Youtube) 

The buck literally stops here with extinction.

As for the White-rumped Shama, it was once common enough to be poached in Singapore. I am lucky in my own way.

Comments

Popular Posts