Massage

I was a little sore yesterday. I had hurt my left shoulder in my sleep. Normally, this is a non-story (Nothing burger) but I was quite exhausted so I did not bother to treat myself. I asked my nephew to massage it. He pressed on the area for about 3 seconds, patted the area 10 times and massage it for about 5 seconds. I would say that love conquers all, but that half-hearted massage left me sorer.

I then travelled to a nearby town for a proper massage. The lady then gave me a one size fits all traditional massage. This topic is not about my opinion of the massage session. (My body was sorer than ever but this is not a serious issue.) This topic was about upselling. In a massage session, the masseur will usually try to upsell service. You will be enticed with a cheap basic service and she will start her upsell when the massage begins. (When you are literally on your back or lying facing down.)

I would not go into her pitch except that there is one topic that has cropped up several times. How to massage the customer's ego. The masseur cannot say that the customer needs a lot of massages as most customers are guys and their ego will be a little dented. Moreover, it is not true as most customers walked in on their own strength so they are not that sick.

One previous masseur commented about my physique (I admit I do weight training to keep my body in shape) and how it was more pleasurable for her to knead my muscles than to knead a person whose body lacked muscle tone.

The most recent masseur commented about my lack of muscle tone. I may not have hit the gym as frequently as I like but I am not totally out of shape. She also commented about my lack of endurance as the massage was fairly brutal. Do you think that I will be back now that my body and ego are bruised?

On a more serious note, I understand why there is a concept of mid-life crisis. If you have a good career and a healthy body, you want people to acknowledge some of your manliness. However, the truth is your outward appearance is diminishing. (Not everybody ages as well as Anderson Cooper or George Clooney). And your ego is more fragile due to your achievements. You are no longer a rookie or an acolyte. You do not want to treated as an idiot.  

I am not a wimp and if my shoulder recovers, I would gladly give her the credit. But for a good time, I am not coming back.

Comments

Popular Posts